Okay, so there is A LOT that has gone on the past few days since I last wrote. Luckily I have a handy dandy notebook (Blues Clue's?... I baby-sat too much) that is really a notepad that I write stuff down in during the day so I don't forget to write about it days later.
Sunday morning, my mom and I went to church in the University District at a University Presbyterian Church. (A lot of cool stuff has happened since I decided to go out to Seattle, one being that there is a family from my hometown who lived out here the past year and I know their daughter I guess through my old youth group--she recommended a lot of things to do out here including this church). The service was great and there was a choir visiting that was simply outstanding. They sang "When I Survey the Wondrous Cross". I'm sure I have heard it a bunch of times, but I really listened and read the words in the program this time. I guess their angelic voices made it reach me somewhere deeper this time. I remember reading the words, "See, from his head, his hands, his feet, sorrow and love flow mingled down! Did e'er such love and sorrow meet, or thorns compose so rich a crown?", and thinking about his head, his hands, his feet. I have attended services the past few weeks at home at Brentwood Baptist (as you may be able to see, I don't tend to stick to a single denomination as of yet) and one night at Kairos the pastor spoke about loving God with your heart, your soul, your mind, and strength and doing this entails loving God with what you think, with who you are, and being disciplined in thought. I just found it interesting that the three images--head, hands, and feet--the very places where Jesus was injured, pierced by thorns and nails, are those places that God calls us to use in order for us to love him. I am sure there are much deeper words or explanations in this thought process, or maybe its all very simple, but it clicked with me on Sunday.
The choir also sang "May the Lord Bless and Keep You" which was extremely fitting. My mom used to say this to all of us kids as we walked out the door on the way to school EVERDAY: "May the Lord bless and keep you; May the Lord make his face to shine upon you, And be gracious to you. May the Lord lift up his countenance upon you, and give you peace". I was dwelling on how this was God giving me the okay to go for my summer in Seattle when my mom leaned over and said, "Aren't you glad I didn't sing that to you every day?". Yes, that would not have been so blessed. However, my mom did say these words to me once again through some tears while hugging me good-bye on Monday night.
We did get some sad news right after the church service though. I was changing in the bathroom from my church clothes into my casual clothes for the day when I got a phone call from one of my best friends letting me know that her grandfather passed away that morning. He had been very sick, but my heart broke because these girls who lost their grandfather are some of my best friends from my childhood and I knew how close they were to him and what he meant to them. And then it occurred to me that he passed on Father's Day. Which seemed like the worst thing imaginable at first. I know full well that its hard not to have a certain man in your life on Father's Day. I also know that an anniversary of someone's death can be a dreadful thing to anticipate every coming year. But... even though I hated to admit it in such a sad time, their grandfather went to be with his Father on Father's Day which is pretty darn cool.
Later on Sunday, I met up with my friend from Auburn that I mentioned earlier and she took us to Ballard to the open air market and local shops. I saw some of THE MOST beautiful flowers ever, saw some of THE MOST interesting people ever (which happens almost everyday in Seattle I'm realizing), and ate vegetarian quesadillas. Sunday was a beautiful day and one of the warmest and sunniest Seattle had seen in a long time, and we--along with the entire city it seemed-- went to the beach. It was not warm enough for me to be in a bathing suit personally but everyone else was. But, oh my gosh, Seattle has got to be the most beautiful city. We walked on the sand, looking at sailboats, and across the water were the enormous Olympic Mountains. I mean, seriously, Seattle has the best of both worlds. That night my mom and I ate at Etta's, a restaurant right by Pike Place Market that is owned by Tom Douglas, and I finally got some crab legs...mmm...
Monday I went in to work for about an hour (I "practiced" riding the bus to get there--ha!) so my boss could show me around and tell me specifically what some of my summer jobs would be. It was also registration day but only two parents came in to sign their kids up while I was there. All of the ones that were signed up while I was there were teen-agers which I was really excited about because they were closer in age to me than I expected and I hoped we could relate easy. After going to the Hutch School I had to fill out paperwork at the Fred Hutch center which is where I acquired my ID card up top. :) After that, we went back to the hotel, loaded up my suitcases and boxes and went to my new house to move in (moving in here was MUCH easier than moving into the dorms at school). Had to get a new phone and went grocery shopping after that so I was pretty much exhausted the last few hours I had to spend with my mom. She left the next morning early and I spent Monday night in my new room. Hung out with the roommates and met a lot of new people that night. There's a lot of people that come in and out, but I really love it. Its never too crazy or anything, but always interesting. And everyone is really, really nice. I guess I thought since I was in the Northwest people were going to rub me the wrong way because we would be so different or vice versa but it hasn't been that way at all. And I love the differences.
Tuesday was just a great day to have off work. I got to go for a run, which was amazing. I love running in Seattle (I have gone two days in a row now!). I run more than I usually do because I want to see what's coming up next. There's so much to see, so much city, and so much nature. Tuesday I ran on the Burke-Gilman Trail through University of Washington, near the huge stadium, around the edge of it, and down a part of a trail around Lake Union. I could see the Space Needle across the water and it was the weirdest feeling to be 22 years old, running in Seattle, completely on my own. That's kind of when reality hit me and it made me extremely content. That night one of my roommates made lasagna--one vegetarian, one regular because we have some vegetarians in the house. They were both sooo tasty. And it was one more day I got to go without learning how to cook for the first time. Later on that night, Anna called and I went out with her and a girl from Seattle she's met named Kelsey. Kelsey introduced us to an Asian drink called Bubble Tea-- the craziest thing I have ever had. It was basically a smoothie but it had tapioca balls in it so every few sips you would get this huge sticky ball in your mouth that really had no taste. But its really popular up here. Just kind of odd in a tasty way. We drank them at Gas Works Park which overlooks Lake Union and the city skyline at night was gorgeous.
FINALLY--the part I have been wanting to write about!! Started my job today. We had 18 kids total. A lot of them were teenagers but a lot of kids too. I think it ranges in age from 6 or 7 to 16 years old. There are kids from Australia, Egypt (both of those have the cutest accents!!), Alaska, Washington, Montana, West Virginia, Chicago, Ohio, and probably more but I am forgetting right now. I am one of those people who the little things make me extremely happy and this is going to be one of those jobs where I notice a lot of those little things. And I know a lot of big things will come from it too. The kids were quiet at first but it didn't take long for them to start getting to know each other and pretty soon it got crazy. A lot of the littlest kids have the loudest voices. And a lot of the big kids like hanging out and helping the younger kids which I loved seeing. I also loved the little ones tapping me on the shoulder to whisper questions to me, laying their head on my shoulder to rest, and getting those crazy kid questions like "Why do you wear make-up?" "Why do you have on mascara?" "Are you smart?" and "Do you have a boyfriend?". Can't wait for more and more hilarious questions. The kids filled out "ME Posters" and I took pictures of all of them for the posters. Then we ate lunch and walked to a park nearby. One of my jobs today was to take lots of pictures which was a lot of fun because I got to get to know each of the kids and find out what they liked to do and how they played and what they were good at. We played 4-square, jumped rope, and played kickball. I also had a really scary internal moment when someone brought a greyhound puppy in the park (I really do have a phobia of greyhound dogs) and I knew no one there knew it so I gritted my teeth and looked away as the man walked his dog right behind me... Someone from home is laughing reading this I know. Probably my sister. Anyways, playing with the kids and talking with them I almost forgot the reason we are all there. We all had (me) or have someone sick in the hospital with cancer. Sometimes I wanted to ask the kids about their family member but I figure, hey, they probably have to talk about it all the time, this is a good time for them just to have fun and be a kid and not have to deal with medicine and treatment and schedules. Which I think is the point of the Hutch School summer program. A lot of the kids came in at the beginning of the day looking scared or mad and not wanting to be there, but by the end of the day most all of them broke out of their shell and had a lot of fun. It is going to be a great, great summer. I know I'll be exhausted everyday from these energetic kids but I can already tell I am going to love my job. I just hope they can get the happiness out of the camp that it gave me and I hope they feel like they can have fun and talk to me if they need to.
I went for another run this afternoon and found a nature trail right by Lake Washington (I think...). I got to see a bunch of turtles and at one point I was just walking along and looked up and no more than 5-6 feet in front of me was a huge crane (or at least I think it was a crane). It was stunning. I really get to see and do so much more here than I would ever get out and do at home. I wouldn't even know where to go to see such beauty everyday, even though I know Tennessee has its beautiful spots too. Its just so much more accessible around here. I can't go running without seeing mountains and water and animals. Its great. And I cooked my first meal tonight. I feel like a housewife after today-- I made lunches for the kids at school, cooked dinner, and cleaned dishes. But I love it.
No comments:
Post a Comment